The Bar Council of Uttarakhand is an Autonomous body established and Constituted in the Year 2004 under the provisions of Advocates Act 1961 Which provide for establishment of State Bar Councils in Section 3 thereof with a maximum of 25 elected members. The Advocate General of the State of Uttarakhand is Ex-officio member of the Uttarakhand Bar Council.
The Bar Council of Uttarakhand is the professional body for Lawyers in Uttarakhand. It provides representation and services for the Bar, and Guidance on issues of professional practice.
The functions of a State Bar Council shall be :
- To admit persons as advocates on its roll.
- To prepare and maintain such roll.
- To entertain and determine cases of misconduct against advocates on its roll.
- To safeguard the rights, privileges and interest of advocates on its roll.
- To promote and support law reform.
- To conduct seminars and organize talks on legal topics by eminent jurists and publish journals and paper of legal interest.
- To promote and maintain excellence in the quality of legal services provided by Lawyers to support the rule of law.